Replacing front brake pads on Hummer H3
H3 comes with disk front and rear brakes, which makes the pad replacement really easy.
14mm and 18mm sockets
Velcro tie or a stiff wire
Front brake pads replacement
- Loosen the lug nuts
- Block the diagonally opposite tire, to prevent the car from rolling
- Raise the car placing the jack under the designated spot, which you can find in the user manual (page 5-77)
- Remove the lug nuts
- Remove the wheel
- Using a ratchet with18mm socket, unscrew two mount bolts holding the caliper in place.
- Use a stiff wire or a Velcro tie to hang the caliper of the steering arm so that it does not get damaged.
- There are two pins and a spring holding the pads together. Remove the pins and then the spring
- Pull the pads out of the caliper
- Push the caliper pistons into the caliper. There are two pistons on each side of the front brake assembly, using a C-clamp and an old brake pad to distribute the pressure evenly. Take care not to damage the pistons.
- Insert the new pads into the caliper. If the pads came with the anti-squealing applicators – attach them on the outside of the pads (not the sides that will touch the rotors). Insert the pins and the spring. Secure the pins.
- Replace the caliper; secure it with the mounting bolts.
- Replace the wheel. Hand -tighten the lug nuts.
- Lower the car
- Tighten the lug nuts.
- Open the hood and remove the excess brake fluid